Friday, July 9, 2010

7.9.10 - On to Pondicherry

Today I embark on what I anticipate to be my most exciting Indian experience thus far: an overnight bus trip! Will there be bathrooms? If there are bathrooms, will there be toilet paper? Will I get motion sickness? Will there be a convenient little paper baggie in the back of the seat in front of me? Will I get a window seat? And most importantly, will the person sitting next to me be wearing deodorant?
Hahaha...I have answers to pretty much none of these questions. I guess I'll just have to wait and see! I'm going with friends, some of whom have taken busses like this, but it would spoil my fun to ask questions. I'd rather be surprised.
My first night in the new place went wonderfully. In fact, it was more than wonderful. The couple who owns the house has lived in the states for 7 years in California, so we are able to communicate very well, not just linguistically but culturally as well. And they have a daughter my age, so the wife has kind of taken me under her wing. They have been so accomodating, kind and generous. They gave me a cell phone to use while I am here! They've invited me up for tea any time, offered to help with everything. All in all, I was just undone by how wonderful they were. She prayed for me too and told me about her faith...it figures that I would come all they way around the world, surrounded by people of all different religions and ethnicities, and end up with the Indian version of my parents. Ironic, and comforting.
Alright, well I'm off for my night bus trip...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment