Thursday, July 1, 2010

7.1.10 - Giza


Today I have discovered the meaning of "walk like and Egyptian". Allow me to expound: I went to see the pyramids today, and of course being the ridiculous tourist that I am (as I feel okay about being because I am only here for three days) I knew that I wanted to ride a camel. So we arrive at the government certified location for camel and horseback rides to the pyramids. My driver told me that I shouldn't take a ride on any one's camel who wasn't government certified because they would agree on a price, then get you out into the desert and demand more money from you. And then what could you do? You were in the desert on someone else's camel! Point taken. Anyways so we agreed on the price and then set out. As we were walking up the dunes toward the pyramids, my guide tells me that today I will learn what it means to walk like an Egyptian. I didn't realize he meant this literally... fast forward to me six hours later, and my ass and inner thighs are so sore from riding that damn camel that there is hardly any way to walk like a normal person! I'm not sure if this is what The Bangles meant, but it is definitely what my guide was talking about, of that I'm sure.
Also today, I learned how to cross the street like and Egyptian. I was on my way to the Museum, which is right down the street from my hostel, but I had to cross the insanity that is the main road that runs right by it. So I walked around the block once just to get up enough courage to cross the street, which involves stepping out into the traffic and putting your hand out as the cars weave around you. When I finally manage to do it, I find myself in the center of a round-about instead of on the side of the street that I want to be on, which means that I have to cross the street again! Needless to say, since I lived to write this, I did not aquire any fatal injuries, and I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.
Cairo is intriguing and wonderful, and I find the chaos of it all strangely attractive, although I'm sure that if I were to stay longer, I might be less enchanted. For now though, I am perfectly content to sit and listen to the traffic out the window and watch the moon rise, orange and glowing over the city scape. More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment